Course 122: GPS Fundamentals and Enhancements
Instructor: Dr. Chris Hegarty, MITRE
The course is also available for private group training | 1.2 CEUs
This course will be taught REMOTELY | November 2-3, 2021, 9AM-4:30PM EST | $1499
This is a 2-day course that presents an overview of how the GPS systems works, its many applications, and its policy and operational considerations. It provides the fundamentals of GPS principles and technologies including clocks and timing, orbits and constellations, and satellites and control segment functions. See details for more information about this course. (Note: This course is the same as Days 1 and 2 of Course 346 and Course 356. The concepts presented in Course 122 are expanded upon in-depth in Courses 346 and 356.)
- To give a comprehensive introduction to GPS and a brief introductions to DGPS technology, system concepts, design, operation, implementation and applications.
- To provide information on the GPS signal, its processing by the receiver, and the techniques by which GPS obtains position, velocity and time.
- Familiarity with engineering terms is helpful but not essential. (Non-engineers will benefit from the clear conceptual explanations.)
Who Should Attend?
- Engineers and technical professionals seeking explanations of GPS technology, operation, capabilities, applications, and development trends.
- Professionals in navigation, positioning, and related fields who are concerned with the capabilities, operation and principles of GPS, DGPS, and related GNSS systems.
- System analysts and specialists concerned with position data and its use.
- Managers concerned with GPS, GNSS activities, or the positioning field.
Materials You Will Keep
- A color electronic copy of all course notes provided in advance on a USB drive or CD-ROM.
- Ability to use Adobe Acrobat sticky notes.
- NavtechGPS Glossary of GNSS Acronyms.
- A black and white hard copy of the course notes.
- Introduction to GPS: The Global Positioning System, 2nd ed., Ahmed El-Rabbany, Artech House, 2006., OR GPS Basics for Technical Professionals, P. Misra, 2019.
- Note: This textbook offer does not apply to private group contracts. Any books for group contracts are negotiated on a case by case basis.
Remote Course, April 2021
The teaching style was very good, it was easy to follow the class even for non-native English speakers.
Falls Church, VA, July 2019
Learning the terms and how they play a role in GPS and how equipment processes GPS signals [was useful to my work]. The 2-day course discussed many of the terms I deal with in my job.
USCG, Alexandria, VA
“The instructor gave enough technical details without losing the non-technical audience. I also found the instructor’s wit and humor very effective. Well done!”