Course 122: GPS Fundamentals and Enhancements
Instructor: Dr. Chris Hegarty, MITRE
Onsite & PublicOur most requested courses are offered at public hotel venues one to two times per year. Most of our courses also can be taught onsite. Onsite courses can be customized to your group.Read more about our on-site course options.
July 14-15, 2020 and December 1-2, 2020, 8AM-3:30PM $1499
JULY COURSE WILL BE REMOTE ONLY
This is a 2-day course that presents an overview of how the GPS systems works, its historical evolution, its many applications, and its policy and operational considerations. It provides the fundamentals of GPS principles and technologies including clocks and timing, orbits and constellations, and satellites and control segment functions. See details for more information about this course. (Note: This course is the same as days 1 and 2 of Course 346 and Course 356)
- To give a comprehensive introduction to GPS and DGPS technology, system concepts, design, operation, implementation and applications.
- To provide detailed information on the GPS signal, its processing by the receiver, and the techniques by which GPS obtains position, velocity and time
- Some familiarity with engineering terms is helpful but not essential.
Who Should Attend?
- Engineers and technical professionals seeking conceptual and detailed explanations of GPS technology, operation, capabilities, applications, and development trends
- Professionals in navigation, positioning, and related fields who are concerned with the capabilities, operation and principles of GPS, DGPS, and related GNSS systems.
- System analysts and specialists concerned with position data and its use.
- Managers concerned with GPS, GNSS activities, or the positioning field.
Materials You Will Keep?
- A color electronic copy of all course notes will be provided on a USB Drive or CD-ROM. Bringing a laptop to this class is highly recommended; power access will be provided.
A black and white hard copy of the course notes will also be provided.
- Introduction to GPS: The Global Positioning System, 2nd ed., Ahmed El-Rabbany, Artech House, 2006., OR Global Positioning System: Signals, Measurement and Performance, P. Misra and P. Enge, 2nd ed., 2011. (Note: This book offer does not apply to on-site contracts. Any books for on-site group contracts are negotiated on a case by case basis.)
Falls Church, VA
Learning the terms and how they play a role in GPS and how equipment processes GPS signals [was useful to my work]. The 2-day course discussed many of the terms I deal with in my job.
USCG, Alexandria, VA
“The instructor gave enough technical details without losing the non-technical audience. I also found the instructor’s wit and humor very effective. Well done!”
USCG, Alexandria, VA
“[My goal was to] learn the basics of GPS in order to understand the terminology and background during conversations and briefs. The course met these objectives very well.”