VN-100 Surface Mount IMU/AHRS
The VN-100 SMD (surface mount device) from VectorNav Technologies (also known as the VN-100 SMD orientation sensor) was the first IMU/AHRS on the market to offer calibrated, high-performance, industrial grade MEMS sensors and quality sensor fusion algorithms in a single surface mount package. The sensor incorporates 3-axis gyros, magnetic sensors, accelerometers and an optional barometric pressure sensor into a miniature surface mount package with a mass of just 43 grams.
In addition to providing calibrated sensor measurements, the VN-100 OEM computes and outputs real-time, drift-free 3D orientation over the complete 360 degrees of motion. The VN-100 OEM has a built-in microprocessor that runs an onboard extended Kalman filter at 2400 Hz, providing estimates of both attitude and the real-time gyro drift bias.
The VectorNav VN-100 OEM package is highly attractive for applications looking to deeply embed a navigation solution into the electronics design. Only a single 3.2 – 5.5 V power supply is required and communication with the VN-100 OEM is possible using either the serial 3 V TTL (UART) or the Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI).
The VN-100 OEM can be used in a wide variety of industrial and military applications and is well suited for size, weight, power and cost (SWAP-C) constrained applications such as UAVs and other unmanned vehicle systems, camera and platform stabilization, guided munitions, heavy machinery monitoring, robotics, primary or secondary flight navigation, flight simulation, and augmented/virtual reality platforms among others.
Small Form Factor and SMD (Chip) and Rugged Packages
The VN-100 is available in two different packaging options: the surface mount device (SMD) and the “Rugged” module. See Related Products for more.
VN-100 SMD Chip
The VN-100 has a onboard processor running an Extended Kalman Filter at 200 Hz, providing you with a smooth and accurate attitude solution. The custom onboard filter is optimized for low power consumption, making the VN-100 well suited for battery powered handheld applications. The filter is fully customizable providing the user with tunable parameters that provide excellent immunity to dynamic and magnetic disturbances for a variety of applications.
Introduced in 2009, the VN-100 was the first Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS) on the market to offer calibrated, high-performance, industrial grade MEMS sensors and quality sensor fusion algorithms in a single surface mount package. At the size of a postage stamp, the VN-100 SMD requires only a single 3.2-5.5V power supply, and can be directly embedded into a user’s electronics. Interface with the VN-100 SMD is made easy by using either the serial 3V TTL (UART) or the Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI).
Size: 24 x 22 x 3 mm
Power: 45 mA @ 3.3 V
Mass: 3.5 g
The VN-100 OEM is available pre-installed onto a small, common PCB for customers looking to test sensor performance, features, or software prior to implementation into their electronics. The development board provides USB and RS-232 serial communication ports as well as a 30-pin header for direct access to the pins on the surface mount device. The VN-100 Development Kit (VN-100S-DEV & VN-100T-DEV) also includes all of the necessary cabling, documentation, and software support for getting started with the VN-100. See Related Product for more about purchasing the development kit.
The VN-100 OEM Development Kit Contents Include:
- Development Board with Pre-Installed VN-100
- Board Size: 76 x 76 x 14 mm (3 x 3 x 0.55 in)
- Onboard USB -> Serial Converter
- Onboard TTL -> RS-232 Converter
- 30-pin 0.1" Header
- Power Supply Jack (can also be powered from USB)
- 3 m (10 ft) USB Cable
- 1.8 m (6 ft) Serial Cable
- 5V Wall Power Supply
- CD with Sensor Explorer & Software Development Kit
- User Manual, Quick Start Guide & Documentation
- Carrying Case
VN-100 OEM Development Kit Calibration Options:
- VN-100S VN-100 OEM calibrated for bias, scale factor, misalignment and gyro g-sensitivity errors at +25C
- VN-100T VN-100 OEM calibrated for bias, scale factor, misalignment and gyro g-sensitivity errors over the entire thermal operating range of the sensor (-40C to +85C)
- VN-100S-DEV VN-100 OEM Development Kit calibrated for bias, scale factor, misalignment and gyro g-sensitivity errors at +25C
- VN-100T-DEV VN-100 OEM Development Kit calibrated for bias, scale factor, misalignment and gyro g-sensitivity errors over the entire thermal operating range of the sensor (-40C to +85C)